Cyber Security and Personal Data Protection
STUDY PROGRAMME “Cyber Security and Personal Data Protection”
Qualification – security specialist
Scope of the Program:
123 ECT credit points
Length of the Program:
2.1 to 2.5 years
The study programme was licenced on March 25 2020, licence page No. 041012-1, no changes have been made to the programme from its licencing to the accreditation of the study programme.
The aim of the study programme is to ensure the possibility to learn the profession of a security specialist and to prepare for professional activity in the field of cyber security and protection of personal data. The aim of the study programme matches the mission of the College of Law – within two years, to prepare theoretically knowledgeable and practically capable specialists for the private and public sector, emphasising the specifics of Latvia as a European Union Member State.
Objectives of the study programme:
- To provide knowledge, to build and develop the set of abilities, skills and attitude necessary for the performance of professional activity in accordance with the professional qualification of a security specialist in cyber security and protection of personal data.
- To ensure mastering of such knowledge and skills, which would allow graduates after graduation to integrate into the labour market, ability to assume and perform the duties set for the profession in cyber security and protection of personal data.
- To ensure obtaining of modern general knowledge by involving visiting lecturers, industry specialists, who could share their practical experiences.
- To create the study process in such a way to promote self-education of students and involvement in professional continuing education processes and improvement of the level of qualification.
Upon successful graduation of the study programme, the qualification of a security specialist is awarded to the graduate. A security specialist in cyber security and protection of personal data works in the environment, where technologies change very rapidly, new tools and new threats are created constantly. A security specialist is ready to use his/her knowledge, professional competences in practice and is ready to develop skills, educate colleagues, customers, partners and so on during his/her entire professional career.
The main planned outcomes of the Cyber Security and Protection of Personal Data study programme with regard to graduates are: highly qualified security specialists have been prepared, who, within the scope of their professional activity, are competent to implement the information security policy of a company/institution, to propose and introduce necessary security controls, to consult, support and inform to guarantee security operation of information technologies, to perform direct actions to make security the entire or part of the network or ICT systems.
Having graduated from the Cyber Security and Protection of Personal Data study programme, graduates will obtain the 4th professional qualification, will obtain the following competences, which the security specialist requires:
– to work alone or in a team, to be able to lead a team;
– to use theoretical and practical knowledge and skills in planning, to organise and coordinate business security-related processes for accurate, timely and high-quality performance of the set tasks;
-to carry out safety audits, to draw up reports and recommendations;
-to draw up general instructions and regulations, to organise security measures;
-to analyse existing risks, to develop a protection mechanism, an action plan for crisis situations;
-to organise record-keeping and to draw up documents in accordance with regulatory enactments on record-keeping and drafting of documents;
-to find, collect and classify information;
-will know industry literature, applicable legislation and industry standards, technical documentation;
– to take decisions and act in a crisis, to take responsibility.
- Legal science
- Communication Psychology and Professional Ethics
- Records Management and Professional Terminology
- Profesionālā terminoloģija svešvaloda (angļu, krievu)
- Civil Protection, Labour and Environmental Protection
- Business Planning, Organisation and Management
- Project Management
- Organisation Management
- Personnel Management
- Protection of Personal Data
- Global Cyber Security
- Introduction Computer Science
- Fundamentals of Python Programming
- Security Theory
- Standards and Regulatory Framework
- Information Security
- Attack Tools and Methods
- Security Tools and Methods
- Fundamentals of Computer Forensics
- Open-Source Intelligence
- WEB Programming
- Criminal law
- Latvian language (for foreign students, mandatory)